Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about sexual violence.

Q. If I speak to someone at the University about an incident of sexual violence, will other people find out what happened to me?

If you speak to a confidential resource, i.e. a counselor at counseling services or one of the nurses in health services, your discussion will be kept in confidence.  If you tell faculty or a staff member, that information is made known to the Title IX Coordinator.  Examples of employees that report to the Title IX Coordinator are professors, academic advisors, student life staff, coaches, Resident Assistants and Safety/Security staff (  We will make every effort to maintain the information you offer privately until you are ready to move forward with a complaint.

Q.  Why does all staff, except for Student Health Services and Counseling Services, need to report an act of sexual violence to the Title IX coordinator?

Title IX, a federal law, requires allcolleges and universities to investigate cases of sexual misconduct. To ensure copliance with the law, all staff/faculty who are privy to such incidents must notify the Title IX coordinator so he/she can provide service and support to all complainants.

Q. If some time has passed since a sexual assault, where can a victim receive medical care?

We recommend starting with Health Services on campus. The nurse practitioners will provide direct medical service and counsel, and are fully aware of community resources for you to access should furrther medical attention be needed.

Q. Who can I talk with confidentially on campus?

There are two confidential resources available on Jefferson’s campus: Personnel in Counseling Center staff. Others on campus are obligated by law to report known assaults to Safety and Security or the Dean of Students Office. When an instance of sexual violence is reported, all efforts are made to keep the identity of the victim private and all follow-up is handled in a very sensitive manner.

Q. Will my parents be contacted if I am a victim of assault?

No, unless you are under 18 years of age. However, we strongly recommend that students tell their parents for support and guidance. Students' rights of privacy are paramount in such cases.

Q. If one of the involved parties is not a Philadelphia University student, can the University still help?

Yes.  A non-student named in an incident of sexual misconduct can be restricted from campus.  We can also develop a safety plan to insure that the victim of sexual harassment or violence feels safe and secure while on campus.  

Q. What if I was intoxicated when I was assaulted?

The use of alcohol and/or drugs does not make the complainant at fault for sexual violence. Someone under the influence of alcohol or drugs cannot give consent. Furthermore, no student should hesitate to report an instance of sexual assault for fear of getting in trouble for alcohol use. At Jefferson we are concerned for the safety and well being of all students and our first priority is to help students to receive necessary support.

Q. What is a Title IX Coordinator?

Jefferson's Title IX Coordinator is the Director of Accessibility Services, Zoe Gingold, 215-951-6830. In this role, she can assist students in filing a report of harassment or assault, and can connect students to appropriate resources. She also works with the appropriate offices on campus to ensure that all issues of sexual violence and harassment are properly handled to keep students and the campus community safe.